Topics in Conformal Dynamics
- Your paper should present, in an expository way, a topic related to but
not covered in the course.
- - More advanced material,
- - a subject touched on in the course but not presented in depth, or
- - a subject used as background in the course that you would like to pursue in more detail
- are all suitable topics.
- Your paper should be about 10 typewritten (preferrably TeX'ed) pages
- A short paper showing you have understood a topic thoroughly is
- Try to make your treatment as concrete as possible -- include examples
as well as theory. The more focused the better.
Some Possible Topics
There is plenty of additional material in the books assigned for the course.
- No Invariant Line Fields for Kleinian Groups (Sullivan, Otal)
- Slodkowski's lambda-lemma (Douady, Sem. Bourbaki)
- Solving the Beltrami equation (many sources)
- Fatou-Leau Flower theory (Milnor)
- Pseudo-Ansov maps via Teichmueller theory (Bers)
- Combinatorics of the Mandelbrot set (Douady-Hubbard)
- The no wandering domains theorem (Sullivan, Milnor)
- Pleated surfaces and tameness (Bonahon, Canary)
- Zippers and schlicht functions (Thurston)
- Yoccoz bound on the limbs of M (Hubbard)
- Papers are due by NOON on Monday, 7 January 2002. This deadline is firm!
- Please hand your paper into the mailbox marked "McMullen"
outside 325 SC.
Return to course home page